Top Social Platforms for Older Adults – Stay Social With These 6 Virtual Clubs Perfect for Seniors
Meet and Make Friends Online - Senior Planet from AARP
In today’s world, socializing and staying connected with friends can often be difficult for seniors due to age-related mobility, health and cognitive issues. Thankfully, online social media platforms offer a safe and reliable way to stay in touch with family and friends, while also making new connections.
While the traditional big names such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram could be a bit overwhelming for the elderly, there are several user-friendly, age specific social media platforms that are suitable for seniors. Here is a list of the five best social media networks that seniors can use to stay connected, keep up with the news and share their thoughts with their peers.
1. KikkiPlanet is a subscription-based social networking platform that focuses on seniors over the age of 60. It is designed to be highly user-friendly, with a simple and easy to understand interface. This makes it a great option for seniors who may not be savvy with technology. The platform also provides a helpful support system for seniors, with several convenient features such as message boards, chat rooms and blogs.
2. Seniorly.com is another great tool for seniors looking for a way to socialize. The platform is specifically designed for seniors to find and make connections with other seniors with similar interests and hobbies. It also provides a great platform for seniors to discuss advice on health, finances and other topics.
3. Circle is a free social networking platform that is designed to help ease seniors into the world of online socializing. It provides an easy way for seniors to keep up with their friends, family and the news. They can join groups and even set up their own events.
4. Viadeo is a great resource for seniors to stay connected with their friends and peers. This platform focuses on career networking, allowing seniors to display their professional profiles and accomplishments. They can also find various events and opportunities to stay in touch and connected with their broader professional network.
5. CarePages is an online platform designed to help seniors, their families and caregivers stay connected while overcoming health challenges. It is the perfect way for family and friends to stay in the loop on the senior’s medical care.
The Internet Knows NO AGE
The internet is often labeled as a ‘youth-oriented’ place, but in reality, it has been a great boon to many seniors. There are now a wide range of online social media tools specifically designed to help seniors enjoy the same social networking available to younger generations. These tools enable the elderly to seek out new connections and wider experiences. Social media can be an invaluable tool for promoting social roles, health, and wellbeing among the elderly. Aside from helping these seniors stay in touch and reunited with relatives, social media also aids in providing a greater understanding of generational boundaries and cultural norms. Social networks are a great way for the elderly to keep up with current affairs, have meaningful conversations, and share information.
Advantages of Seniors Who Use Social Media
There are many advantages to having seniors use social media. It allows for new friendships, link prospects for various services and initiatives, and also provides educations courses, health tips, and other useful information. It has been found that seniors who are active on social networks tend to have better overall health, as they are more likely to keep up with current trends, find professional assistance, and even connect with local community resources. Moreover, online social networks are a great way for seniors to explore new hobbies and interests. From accessible summaries of current events, to virtual exercise classes, to virtual games, the elderly can make the most of the opportunities social media offers.
Finding Causes Your Passionate About
Social media is also a great way for seniors to actively contribute to the causes they are passionate about. Today, there are plenty of social networks dedicated to topics such as health, civil rights, and many others. Knowing that their time, effort, and energy is being used to solve meaningful issues is a great boon for many seniors, many of whom are no longer able to physically participate in causes they might have done in the past. In just the last few years, we’ve seen a huge surge in adoption of social media among seniors. Social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter have enabled senior citizens to keep up with their family and friends, learn more about current events, and engage with their local communities. Through a combination of content, online events, and special platforms, elderly folks can remain better connected with the world and all that happens outside their own 4 walls that makes up home.
Assisting in Mental Health
Social media can be used as a powerful tool for senior citizens to help their mental health and prevent loneliness. In this tech-savvy world, senior citizens can utilize the power of social media to combat loneliness and improve their mental well-being. When it comes to decreasing loneliness, social media can play a major role. It can help seniors find other seniors in their area, or virtually connect with those who they haven’t seen in a while. By connecting with other seniors, they can be reminded of shared experiences, talk about current events, and enjoy staying updated on the lives of loved ones they can’t physically connect with. Not only can social media help combat loneliness, but it can also be an aid to their mental health. Connecting with other seniors can lead to positive discussion on certain topics and form a comfortable community for those that belong to it. It also offers seniors a platform to talk about topics they may not feel comfortable discussing with family or friends in person.
Finding Ways to Live a Healthier Lifestyle, at ANY Age!
Another benefit to using social media for senior citizens is the ability to find information and tips for living a healthy life. If there are certain health care questions that the senior doesn’t feel comfortable discussing in person, social media offers a platform for them to seek out the answers and tips from other, experienced individuals. Overall, social media can be used in a positive way for the elderly population, whether it be to combat loneliness or to aid in their mental health. It offers them a platform to connect with others and learn important health tips and information. Senior citizens should take advantage of the power of social media and find ways to make it work for them.